The APE conducted an opinion poll to understand:
- what families have enjoyed most about home schooling and from back to school until today.
- Their expectations of the school, in the current context and in the context of potential confinement.
- Their expectations from APE in the current context
We collected 212 responses, representing the experience of 249 preschool (16%), primary (45%), middle school (25%) and high school (14%) students.
The full results are published here.
In summary, we see two main fields of action to improve the experience of families in the context of distance education, (1)- digital tools and processes, and (2) – quality of communication.
THE IMPORTANCE OF TOOLS AND PROCESSES
- For a good distance learning experience, families favor the following good practices:
- Quality ICT support > teachers must have all the tools and a good Internet connection
- Ease of online navigation > 1 platform per student, homework should be easy to find
- Limit the need to print at home > homework should be easy to do on screen
- Frequent follow-up with teachers > parent and / or student – teacher video conferences, in small groups
- Governance on the part of the school > harmonize practices while respecting the pedagogical choices of teachers
GOOD QUALITY OF COMMUNICATION WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
- Simplify protocols and recall them frequently
- Communicate more widely on new COVID cases and the actions taken
- Organize regular videoconferences between families and school
The Bureau thanks all those who participated in this questionnaire.